Ensuring Marital Bliss Through Social Security Compliance

Over the past year, I, along with a number of other Schneider Downs employees, took the big plunge. That is, we got married! After a hectic year of planning, there may be one more important “to do” on the marriage check list – a legal name change.  

Legally changing your name after marriage is completely optional, but if you do plan to legally change or hyphenate your last name, you need to first take these steps. To legally change your name with the Social Security Administration, you must file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card with your local Social Security Administration office, along with supporting documentation.

In this case, supporting documentation is an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate. The Social Security Administration will not accept a photocopy.  Additionally, you must also provide proof of identity, such as a driver’s license, state-issued identification card, or United State passport.

After submitting an application and providing the required supporting documentation, the Social Security Administration will process the change in the system and relay the information to the Internal Revenue Service. It is imperative to complete these steps before filing your 2016 tax return because your tax return is filed under your Social Security Number (SSN). Newlyweds should wait to file their tax return until after their new social security card is issued. A delay in refund and/or other complications may arise if the name on the tax return does not match the SSN on file with the Social Security Administration.

Following the proper steps to legally change your name will not only safeguard your 2016 tax compliance, but also help ensure marital bliss in your first year of marriage. 

Contact us with questions and visit our Tax Services page to learn about the services we offer the industry.

You’ve heard our thoughts… We’d like to hear yours

The Schneider Downs Our Thoughts On blog exists to create a dialogue on issues that are important to organizations and individuals. While we enjoy sharing our ideas and insights, we’re especially interested in what you may have to say. If you have a question or a comment about this article – or any article from the Our Thoughts On blog – we hope you’ll share it with us. After all, a dialogue is an exchange of ideas, and we’d like to hear from you. Email us at contactSD@schneiderdowns.com.

Material discussed is meant for informational purposes only, and it is not to be construed as investment, tax, or legal advice. Please note that individual situations can vary. Therefore, this information should be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice.

© 2020 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

our thoughts on

Pennsylvania EITC Applications Open July 1
Tax BY Antoinette Luchini
Definitions of Real and Incidental Property in New Like-Kind Exchange Regulations
The Supreme Court and Affordable Care Act Constitutionality - Protecting Your Ability to Recover Prior Year Federal Taxes
IRS Guidance Provided on the Silo of CARES Act NOLs
Additional Guidance and Relief for Opportunity Zones from the IRS
What to Expect During a Sale Transaction

Register to receive our weekly newsletter with our most recent columns and insights.

Have a question? Ask us!

We’d love to hear from you. Drop us a note, and we’ll respond to you as quickly as possible.

Ask us

contact us

Map of Pittsburgh Office

One PPG Place, Suite 1700
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

p:412.261.3644     f:412.261.4876

Map of Columbus Office

65 East State Street, Suite 2000
Columbus, OH 43215

p:614.621.4060     f:614.621.4062

Map of Washington Office
Washington, D.C.

1660 International Drive, Suite 600
McLean, VA 22102